As some of you may have heard, Mr. Ali, Ms. Katy and Ms. Eleni gave a presentation to LIS parents on about Facebook. We talked about the good, the bad and the ugly of Facebook, but we narrowed in on how they can help you make informed decisions about your privacy and sharing settings.
Next year we will be talking a lot more about social media in your homeroom classes. This year, use the resources in this post to make sure that you are sharing what you want with who you want on Facebook. As you use Facebook and other social media sites, remember these five tips from Common Sense Media:
- Think before you post or text — a bad reputation could be just a click away. Before you press the “send” button, imagine the last person in the world that you’d want seeing what you post.
- What goes around comes around. If you want your privacy respected, respect others’ privacy. Posting an embarrassing photo or forwarding a friend’s private text without asking can cause unintended hurt or damage to others.
- Spread heart, not hurt. If you wouldn’t say it in person, don’t say it online. Stand up for those who are bullied or harassed, and let them know that you’re there for them.
- Give and get credit. We’re all proud of what we create. Illegal downloading, digital cheating, and cutting and pasting other people’s stuff may be easy, but that doesn’t make it right. You have the responsibility to respect other people’s creative work — and the right to have your own work respected.
- Make this a world you want to live in. Spread the good stuff. Create, share, tag, comment, and contribute to the online world in positive ways.
Resources on Facebook, Privacy and your Safety
- Playing it Safe – Facebook’s page on safety. It includes information on how to unfriend or block someone and how to report abusive content. There’s also a link to their introduction to your privacy settings.
- How To Change Your Privacy Settings On Facebook – Facebook Tutorial: In two minutes, this video points out the basics, but you’ll need to dive in more deeply.
- Facebook Privacy Settings tutorial 2013: This video takes you through the privacy settings, step by step.
- Facebook Security Video: This tutorial, like the one above it, is quite detailed and offers an in-depth tour of the Facebook security settings. The speaker is not as good, but the information is solid.
Want help with your Facebook privacy settings? Come see Ms. Katy in the secondary library.