I’ve got a secret: Google isn’t always the best at finding you what you want! Of course, if you use all of its tricks, you can Get The Most Out of Google! But still, there are other search and discovery engines out there that can help you find what the information you need, when you need it.
Try these Search Engines on for size:
- DuckDuckGo: Don’t want “someone” tracking your every move? Don’t want your search results to be impacted by your search history? Search with DuckDuckGo.
- InstaGrok: Visually pleasing, interactive results with alternate and extended search terms right in front of you. Research a topic, customize your results, share your search results web. Try it out!
- Scrius: It’s science! Check out their “About Us” page for more details, but the quickie version is that when you search REM, Google thinks rock music and Scrius thinks sleep.
- KidsClick!: Search Engine for Year 1 – Year 8
How about these Discovery/Reference sites?
- Finding Dulcinea: The library of the Internet! High quality, trustworthy websites selected by REAL HUMANS. 🙂
- Internet Public Library: This is the online version of the reference desk at a public library. In addition to a wealth of resources carefully selected for your use, there are REAL HUMANS working behind the IPL desk. Just “Ask an IPL Librarian” and a librarian or library student will help guide you to resources for your question.
- GapMinder: Aiming to support a fact-based worldview, GapMinder takes boring numbers and converts them into animated statistics in colorful graphs.
This only scratches the surface. What’s your favorite search engine or discovery website to turn to when the Internet giant Google isn’t what you need?